Amana Tool 51521 Glass Cutting 1/8 D x 1/2 CH x 1/4 SHK x 2-1/2 Inch Long x 3 Flute Solid Carbide ZrN Coated Up-Cut Router Bit
3 & 4 Flute
GRP (Glass Reinforced Plastic) multi-flute router bits
Fiberglass-impregnated materials are well known for their abrasiveness along with a tendency to fray or shred during machining along with heat created by the router bit.
Amana Tool's response to these challenges is an extremely free-cutting, multi-edge tool that shears the material without shredding or imparting unnecessary heat. Adding a Zirconium Nitride Ceramic (ZrN), coating increases the edge hardness by nearly 50%, greatly increasing the life of the cutting edge.
- Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS)
- Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer (CFRP)
- Composite materials
- Fiberglass PCB Board
- Fiber Reinforced Plastic (FRP)
- High Impact Polystyrene (HIPS)
- Polycarbonate (Lexan™)
- Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE)
- Polyethylene Terephthalate Glycol (PETG)
- Thermoplastic Polyolefin (TPO)
Recommendation: Use the slowest suggested feed rates and the shortest bits necessary for cutting and routing Lexan™
Benefits of ZrN Coating
- Zirconium Nitride (ZrN) is a PVD ceramic hardcoat for solid carbide router bits designed for soft, gummy and abrasive materials.
- ZrN coated bits have the ability to run and/or be spun much faster than an uncoated tools.
- ZrN coating creates a harder and tougher cutting ceramic over carbide edge, allowing for a prolonged cutting edge life and helps to prevent the build-up/galling of material in the flutes while cutting.
- High flute volume supports high feed rates and chip loads High aspect ratio for single pass deep-reach cutting
- Creates incredibly precise detail work Up-spiral cutting edge for superior chip ejection
- Flute geometry optimized for cutting sign foam, sign board, hardwoods, thermoplastics and phenolic composites
- Optimized flute geometry and low Total Indicated Runout (TIR) guarantees clean cuts, essentially eliminates sanding and reduces chatter (where the machine or work piece vibrates) under high chip loads when used with low TIR spindles.
Tools are manufactured with high balance, that allows them to run up to 60,000 RPM.Adjust your chip load and feed rate accordingly.