CNC Project Video: Uhuru Making Foam Board Cast for Concrete Canyon Coffee Table Using Amana Tool® CNC Router Bits
For Your Safety
- The methods illustrated here are only intended for use with a CNC machine.
- Make certain that the workpiece is secured and that all components of the fixture are securely fastened to the table.
- Use a guard, eye and hearing protection at all times.
Click here for complete description
Watch this CNC video as we visit Uhuru, one of America’s most innovative design firms, as they create a cast for their Concrete Canyon Coffee Tabletop from 15lb Precision Board using Amana Tool® CNC Router Bits.
Uhuru, a multi-disciplinary design firm, believes that each piece conceived, designed and produced should add to a greater good in the world. This is evident in their creative reuse and repurpose in the creation of fine furniture and interior spaces.
Uhuru invited us to their Red Hook Brooklyn, New York workshop to film the cast-making process of this concrete tabletop from two pieces of 2” thick 15lb Precision Board stacked and glued together.
After the foam board was cut, a cast was created and concrete was poured creating the stepped edge canyon design inspired by the carving of the Grand Canyon by the Colorado River. The unique base cut from ebonized oak evokes shifting tectonic plates. Final dimensions of this piece measure 52” L x 52” W x 15” H.
We want to specially thank Annie and the fine folks at Uhuru for opening their workshop doors to us! We can’t wait to go back!
Feed, Speed & Step Down Technical Information:
2-1/2” Dia. Insert Spoilboard/Surfacing Router Bit 2+2 Flute Design with Scorers #RC-2251
Feed Rate (IPM): 700
Chip Load (Per Tooth): 0.010"
Step Down (Per Pass): 0.020”
1/2" Dia. Solid Carbide Spiral, Extra Long Flat Bottom ZrN Coated Up Cut 3 Flute CNC Router Bit #46596
Feed Rate (IPM): 320
Speed (RPM): 18,000
Chip Load (Per Tooth): 0.006"
Step Down (Per Pass): 0.625"
1/4" Dia. Solid Carbide Spiral Finisher, 3 Flute Down Cut Router Bit #51731
Feed Rate (IPM): 215
Speed (RPM): 18,000
Chip Load (Per Tooth): 0.004"
Step Down (Per Pass): 0.125”
Purchase the Uhuru Cast Canyon Coffee Table Here.
CNC Video: Uhuru Making Foam Board Cast for Concrete Canyon Coffee Table Using Amana Tool CNC Router Bits by ToolsToday, Your Source for Industrial Cutting Tools.
Thank you all for watching, be sure to stay tuned to the end for a special announcement! I hope you enjoyed seeing a behind the scenes look of what goes into making and filming a project. Please let me know your thoughts, questions or comments on this down below, and be sure to subscribe to the channel so you see all of our future videos; there's a lot more to come. I look forward to seeing you guys on the next one! Have a great day!
Tools Used in Video:
- Amana Tool RC-2251 Spoilboard Insert Surfacing & Rabbeting Flycutter 2+2 Flute Design 2-1/2 D x 1/2 CH x 1/2 SHK Router Bit, Includes 2 Each of HMA-12 and HCK-70
- Amana Tool 46596 Extra Long CNC 2D and 3D Carving Flat Bottom x 0.10 Deg Angle x 1/2 Dia x 1-1/4 Cut Height x 1/2 Shank x 7 Inch Long x 3 Flute Solid Carbide ZrN Coated Reduced Shank Router Bit
- Amana Tool 51731 Solid Carbide Spiral Finisher 1/4 Dia x 7/8 Cut Height x 1/4 Shank x 3 Inch Long Down-Cut Router Bit, Leaves an Extra High Surface Finish